ToonDoo
ToonDoo is an excellent website that lets you create a variety of cartoons and comic strips that can definitely be used for educational purposes. It is very easy to sign up and get right into action. Once you are ready to create your comic strip it gives you an assortment of layouts to choose from. Then, the fun begins. A wide selection of characters, settings, props, and texts make it extremely simple to create interesting topics. Saving your projects is also stress-free. ToonDoo is definitely a great resource to use with students.
Pixton
Pixton is also a great tool to use to create comic strips. It was very easy to sign up, however, the free version does have a lot of limitations. Creating a personalized avatar was fun, I’m sure students would have an amazing time doing this. Once you begin creating a comic strip it has a variety of settings and other options, but only the unlocked ones can be used for free. It was easy to download and save, however, I really don’t recommend for students because they don’t have a lot of options to choose from.
MakeBeliefsComix
This is a good website that will let you create comic strips without setting up an account. It’s a great resource for students to use if they want to make something easy and quick. Not a lot of options are available and the characters and settings are not the best. There’s so much going on in the website itself that makes it confusing to focus. One I created my comic strip, it was easy to save and download.
As a librarian, I unquestionably recommend teachers to use
comics in the classroom. They facilitate a better understanding of complex
topics and motivate reluctant readers. They can be used in so many ways such as
letting students create their own comics to show others what they’ve learned or simply
getting their creativity to work. Having graphic novels in the classroom as a reading resource is also recommended.


I think graphic novels and comics are perfect for those struggling readers and ELLs. They are very easy to read and comprehend. I have seen a higher interest within my students in the past couple of years now.
ReplyDeleteAll of your comic strips were fabulous! I had such a hard time creating a character that looked like me on ToonDoon and ended up choosing one that wasn't like me at all! I did enjoy Pixton though, and for the same reasons as you-the avatar making was fun, and although the backgrounds were limited, I think the paid version would totally be worth it!
ReplyDeleteI had the most fun creating comics. There are so many options and I know without a doubt the students will love creating them too. Using them for professional developments is also a great way to add humor or just introduce the ease of the applications with our teachers.
ReplyDelete