Graphic novels have become extremely popular and are now a
very important component of libraries. It is vital to
understand that graphic novels are not a genre but instead a format. They
are a sequential art that can include history, fantasy, nonfiction and all
other subgenres. Graphic novels combine text and illustrations to convey the
story presented. They definitely include all the literary
elements of a traditional story. Just like picture books, they can also
be enjoyed by a variety of readers. They are not just for students that are
unmotivated. For these reasons, graphic novels can without a
doubt be used as a teaching tool that will encourage children even with special
needs. People’s perception has changed. Many graphic novels have
received some of the most prestigious awards in literature.
I have noticed that many of my
students check out graphic novels when we go to the school library. I see their
interest in reading has increased with this format that can be fun to read
while at the same time offer a wealth of information. I love how graphic novels
can help readers’ transition from picture books to chapter books. This is
unquestionably a format I would introduce to those young adults that are really
not interested in reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment